Welcome to Whangara B5 » History of the Incorporation
The Whangara blocks currently consist of 6859 hectares out of an original 11,670 hectares. The Pakarae Whangara B5 Partnership now farms 5448 hectares of the remaining land.
Whangara B5 has been farmed in its own right since 1916 when it began with 1735 hectares of freehold land.
In the spring of 1993 Whangara B5 purchased Rototahi Station; 806 hectares held in general title. The total freehold land is 2541 hectares. Whangara also has a further 442 hectares of leased land.
In 1916 the Whangara B5 owners made a bold decision to stop leasing to the European settlers in order to farm the land themselves supervised by a European, W. G. Sherratt.
The banks would not lend to Maori therefore the owners mortgaged their interests to Mr. Sherratt who obtained a £25,000 loan to develop the Whangara blocks. Once the loan was repaid, Whangara B5 did gain permission to borrow from the bank - borrowing more than $1 million in 1993 to help purchase Rototahi. The bank loan was repaid within six years.
Sir Apirana Ngata was responsible for the incorporation and consolidation of Maori land blocks. On October 27, 1954 Whangara B5 shareholders decided the blocks would become incorporated. At that time there were 400 shareholders. There are now 749 who own 374,342 shares.
The farm has a 60 to 40 percent split between sheep and beef, carrying 32,407 stock units.
In 2001 the corporation introduced the Apa-Apa TeKani memorial Tertiary Scholarship for Whangara B5 decendants. Following this Whangara B5 appointed a rangatahi in 2007. The position is held for one year with the rangatahi able to participate in all business discussions at the committee of management but do not have the right to vote. Whangara B5 chairwoman Ingrid Collins says the position was created to encourage youth to become involved with the farm, develop new skill sets and to learn the operations of a committee of management.
Dedicated managers over time saw Whangara B5 go from strength to strength. Special mention must go to former manager, Don Green, who spent 33 years bringing Whangara B5 up to a standard that was hard to match on the coast. In 2006 Don retired after bringing to fruition the strategic plan, ‘To achieve a return on investment acceptable to shareholders and investigate other opportunities'.